The Legal Innovation Zone at Ryerson University supports individuals and groups with the passion to make Canada’s legal and justice system smarter, faster and better.
There are currently 3 streams of getting involved with the LIZ:
We accept companies at any stage that have a legal system or technology based innovation. We are looking for companies with particularly innovative solutions and business models with a high growth potential.
Successful applicants are welcomed to the zone for an initial free four-month stay (after which extensions and membership plans are available).
We welcome students and recent grads who are passionate about driving change within the world of law. Your expertise may be useful to other LIZ companies, individuals, or other LIZ initiatives.
Gain an exclusive opportunity to work with a current LIZ company, or initiative to attain valuable skills and experiences.
Successful applicants will be added to our pool of associates and meet with the Startup Experience Coordinator to explore available opportunities at the zone.
Do you have a concept for a product, process or service that you would like to explore and build?
The LIZ provides an in-depth consultation to accelerate your ideation process.
Through our Innovator’s Canvas stream we provide early stage mentorship and guidance required to validate your ideas and assess the business opportunity before you consider applying to the LIZ as a startup.
Startup Membership Benefits
The LIZ members have access to a variety of exclusive membership benefits including:
- Catered connections to experts, advisors and industry leaders for startup development;
- Collaborative environment and peer-to-peer knowledge transfer;
- Educational workshops and networking opportunities catered to the community;
- Affiliation with Ryerson’s Zone Learning community, including The DMZ – North America’s top university business incubator for tech startups;
- Connections to Ryerson University resources, researchers and student talent;
- Co-working space in an unbeatable downtown location;
- Designated workstations, WiFi and access to fully equipped meeting rooms, event space and technology.
Successful applicants are invited to join the community for a maximum incubation period of two years. To become a member of the LIZ community, a startup must have:
- A legal system or technology based innovation that delivers efficient, accessible and affordable legal solutions for consumers;
- An innovative idea that focuses on consumers of legal services, big law or access to justice issues;
- The potential to grow and scale to achieve high impact in the sector;
- A validated business idea and team that fits with the LIZ’s collaborative community;
- A “lean canvas” business model and an effective pitch deck.