The Legal Innovation Zone at Ryerson University supports individuals and groups with the passion to make Canada’s legal and justice system smarter, faster and better.
The LIZ members have access to a variety of exclusive membership perks including:
- Co-working space in an unbeatable downtown location
- Designated workstations, WiFi and access to fully equipped meeting rooms, event space and technology
- Catered connections to experts, advisors and industry leaders for startup development
- Collaborative environment and peer-to-peer knowledge transfer
- Educational workshops and networking opportunities catered to the community
- Affiliation with Ryerson’s Zone Learning community, including The DMZ – the leading business incubator for tech startups in Canada
- Connections to Ryerson University resources, researchers and student talent.
LIZ Eligibility Criteria
To enter the LIZ you must have:
- A legal system or technology based innovation, to help make Canada’s legal landscape smarter, faster, better and more accessible.
- Startups ideas can focus on consumers of legal services, big law, access to justice, or “new law”
- A business idea and team that fits with the LIZ’s collaborative community
- A business idea that builds on Ryerson’s reputation as a driver of leading edge education and experiential learning
- Have a “lean canvas” business model and an effective pitch deck
- Have the potential to grow and scale to achieve high impact
There are currently 3 streams of getting involved with the LIZ:
We accept companies at any stage that have a legal system or technology based innovation. We are looking for companies with particularly innovative solutions and business models with a high growth potential.
- Successful applicants are welcomed to the zone for an initial free four-month stay (after which extensions and membership plans are available)
We welcome anyone who is passionate about driving change within the world of law. Your expertise may be useful to other LIZ companies, individuals, or other LIZ initiatives
- Gain an exclusive opportunity to work with a current LIZ company, or initiative to attain valuable skills and experiences
- You will be added to our pool of associates. Successful applicants will meet with the Startup Experience Coordinator to explore available opportunities at the zone.
Do you have a concept for a product, process or service that you would like to explore and build. The LIZ provides an in-depth consultation to accelerate your ideation process